Managing Your Student Debt
Discovery Resource # ST-33
Your road to financial freedom
With the substantial debt burden facing graduating medical students, it has become increasingly important to know how to navigate the choppy waters of medical school debt.
Whether your loans are federal or private, in good standing or in default, this chapter identifies your options and helps you determine the best way forward.
- Graduate from residency with as little debt as possible.
- Escape from student loans within two to five years of residency graduation.
- Prevent defaulting on student loan default and/or declaring financial hardship declaration.
- Develop a payment plan and learn about loan forgiveness opportunities offered by some employers.
- Identify federal loan repayment programs.
- Identify state loan repayment programs.
- Qualify for public health loan forgiveness.
- Reduce your interest rate by refinancing.